Photo Record
Images
Metadata
Collection |
Carus Collection |
Accession # |
P82-37-3-33 |
Description |
Black and white photograph of carferry ANN ARBOR NO. 1 burning at dock in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Port quarter view of vessel with sprays of water from attempts to extingush fire. March 8, 1910. |
Object Name |
Print, Photographic |
Date |
03/08/1910 |
Place |
Manitowoc, WI |
Vessel Info |
Vessel name: ANN ARBOR NO. 1 Official number: 106974 Other names: None available Build date: 1892 Builder: Craig Shipbuilding Company Place of build: Toledo, OH Dimensions: 260.33 x 53.00 x 14.58 Gross Tonnage: 1127.0 Vessel Rig: Propeller Rebuild info: None available Ownership changes: Ann Arbor Railway Co. (1892-1910) Other history: None available Disposition: Caught fire and burned on 3/8/1910 while at Chicago & North Western Railway slip in Manitowoc, WI. Burned to waterline, with no lives lost. Hull raised on 6/9/1911 and converted to a sand scow at Muskegon, MI. |
Other number |
Volume A |
Size of original |
6.25" x 8.5" |
Search Terms |
ANN ARBOR #1 Manitowoc, WI car ferry |
Credit line |
Carus Collection Donated by Henry N. Barkhausen |
Provenance |
Materials in this collection were collected and compiled by Great Lakes ship captain Edward Carus of Manitowoc over a period of more than 50 years. Captain Carus began his career on the Great Lakes sailing on schooners and spent many years as a captain for the Goodrich Line before retiring. During his career, he researched and recorded the maritime heritage of the areas where he sailed, particularly the western shore of Lake Michigan. Captain Carus worked for ten years with Edwin Schuette, also from Manitowoc, and Mr. Schuette also contributed to the collection. In 1937, Captain Carus had fallen on hard times, his wife was bedridden and they were in need of money. Although Captain Carus desired his extensive collection to stay in Manitowoc, neither the City of Manitowoc nor Mr. Schuette was willing to purchase it at the time. Instead, Henry N. Barkhausen purchased it and kept it in his personal collection for more than 40 years before donating it to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum in 1981, returning it to Manitowoc. Edwin Schuette passed his portion of the collection to his son, Henry Schuette, who then donated his portion to the museum in 1981 as well. |
